Italy, panoramas from Abruzzo - 04 By Andrea Mazzocchetti
Roccascalegna is an Italian town of 1 177 inhabitants in the province of Chieti in Abruzzo. It is one of the eleven common members of the mountain community of Aventino-Medio Sangro.
As reported by the Catalogus Baronum, the origin of the village dates back to the 12th century, more precisely in 1160, perhaps on a pre-existing settlement. However, it is certain that in the Collelongo area the ruins of the Eneolithic have been found and in Capriglia and Colle Cicerone of the ruins of the Roman era. However, the monks probably already existed in the area as for the Church of San Pancrazio already existing in 829. The current church dates back to 1205 as a reconstruction of the pre-existing church. Originally the village was built as a Lombard outpost for the control of the Rio Secco Valley to defend the area against the Byzantines. The Longobards erected, where now is the castle of Roccascalegna, a watchtower. The Franks followed one after another, then the Normans. The real castle, however, is probably from the Norman period. In 1320 Roccascalegna was nominated in the Angevin period "cum castellione", at the time, therefore, the castle already existed. The next mention is of the fifteenth century, in the reign of Giovanna II of Naples during the exploits of Giacomo Caldora, with the rebellion of his son Antonio, the abuses of Raimondo Caldora and the ascent to the throne of the Aragonese to the throne of the Kingdom of Naples. In this period a soldier under the command of Giacomo Caldora, Raimondo Annechino is feudatory of the village, his family remained feudatory of the village until 1525 when Giovanni Maria Annechino had the castle rebuilt
August 6th, 2018
Viewed 1,128 Times - Last Visitor from Fairfield, CT on 12/09/2023 at 10:23 PM